Sunday, November 29, 2009

Thanksgiving

Watch out for my battle tank arms... ugh, realizing I have worked out a grand total of five times since she was born = fail.

We spent the day at R's uncle and partner's house. This year our contributions were:
- Snowy Garlic Mashed Potatoes: now a classic at the house. I just forget every holiday how much I loathe peeling 8-10lbs of potatoes.
- Praline Sweet Potatoes: I vary these every year that I make them... some years it's yams, some years I use more or less sugar, this year I used almonds instead of pecans since R is allergic. I now officially prefer almonds over pecans. This tastes even better as leftovers.
- Gooey Pumpkin Cake: You can't go wrong with something that includes a CUP of butter. I used spice cake instead of butter/yellow cake and about 1/3 the called for amount of sugar and it was PERFECT. It's like the perfect love child of pumpkin pie, cake, and cheesecake.

No matter where we do Thanksgiving, I always end up making my own turkey dinner a few days later as I love turkey leftovers (and they're always so cheap!). This year our bird received the bacon treatment:

Bacon-wrapped turkey is awesome. This is the first year I made gravy from scratch and this way by far the best tasting gravy I've ever had. This may make a repeat next year!

4 comments:

Leslie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Leslie said...

1) You look great, seriously.

2) Wow, that's a lot of bacon.

Sara said...

Homemade gravy from drippings is THE BEST...yumm!!

Kelli said...

Leslie - that's actually one package of bacon. Our roommate went to a bacon-themed party earlier this month and made like 75 BLTA sandwiches so we've been trying to use up what was left of his Costco bacon purchase.