Tuesday, April 13, 2010

FML.

I spent months working with our lender to get the items on my divorce either cleared or overlooked. Months. Due to a few errors on his part (like assuming R & I are married), they decided to re-run my credit Monday morning.

I guess because of his disability (read: kidney donation), my ex-husband has stopped making car payments. Again (third time in 18 months). Because I was a co-signer on the original loan in happier times, it's still on my credit because he refuses to refinance me off of it, even though the judge has ordered him to.

The lender now has to remove me from the home loan - I'm too much of a risk now. I had perfect credit before my marriage - never was late, never carried a balance... I called the credit union and offered to bring the car current on the spot if they'd remove the mark off of my credit & they said no. I can make the monthly payments on the car but he will not turn it over to me (already asked). With the house being in SoCal, there really needs to be both of us on the mortgage... so in short, we're losing the house. My lawyer & lender have both advised me to file for BK and wait ten years before I attempt to buy a home.

While yes, I can hold him in contempt of court for not following through with the divorce settlement, it's going to cost me another several thousand dollars just to start the process which will leave me in the exact same position. I have no idea where he lives anymore so I'd have to hire a private detective (since he moves every 4-6 months). He'd have to be served in person for the contempt hearing. He was able to previously hide the car while it was in repo... so my choices as they've been presented to me are either pay off his credit card debt & the car in full (essentially giving him a free vehicle for which I still am held liable for if he does something stupid with it) or filing for bankruptcy. I have no idea what I'm going to do because my job is tied to the financial sector & you guessed it... my credit score.

FML. I am going back to bed with the baby, my Zoloft, and a gallon of ice cream.

2 comments:

Sara said...

I wish there was something I could say that would help...so I will just say Fuck, that SUCKS!. I'm sorry friend! :(

Anonymous said...

Wow Kelli. I am so sorry you are dealing with this. You dont deserve this crap and he's a douche for screwing your credit up like this. I cannot believe there is nothing the courts can do to protect YOUR credit? What an ASSHAT!!