Thursday, August 6, 2009

Spawner fail.

31.5 weeks. Mmm, heat is great for water retention!

... or at least this is how I feel after my OB appointment today. R came along (since he was flying out for work later in the afternoon, he had the morning off so we were able to squeeze in meeting with the pediatrician before heading over) and as much comfort as he can give, it's hard not to feel like these last few months have been filled with just plain fail.

I failed my second 1 hour GD test by 40 points (they misread my chart to me originally last week) while following the GD diet. Wrap your head around that one! I had my three hour test on Monday (which is actually four+ hours) at 5:45am. We found out that I have no "working" veins in my right arm so we had to do all four draws out of my left, leaving me looking like a major drug user between the bruises and the track marks. I got my results back Tuesday AM:

Fasting: 81 (pass)
1 Hour : 195 (fail, would need to be 180 or lower)
2 Hour : 161 (fail, would need to be 155 or lower)
3 Hour : 60 (pass, although the range is 120 or lower)

So officially as of today, I have "borderline" gestational diabetes. There is a theory floating around my OB's office that my nine weeks of bed rest may have helped seal the deal for me. In any case, I meet with my dietician on Tuesday and begin 4x daily finger pricks to test my blood sugar. We're hoping the diet and exercise will solve this but there is a chance due to how low my sugars bottom out, I may require medication or insulin.

In addition due to my previously low lying placentia, they would like to do an ultrasound in two weeks to confirm placement and Bella's current growth, since GD babies tend to come out larger. At this point now, I am measuring 32-33 weeks (I am 31.5 weeks now). I am still under the recommended weight gain.
While sniffling into my sugar-free, low carb, high protein breakfast this morning, I told R if my placenta becomes an issue (again) and my GBS test comes back positive, I am (half jokingly) asking for a c-section. It may become a reality, as I didn't think to ask what their policy is on induction for GD moms. It's the last thing I want, but I really feel that my all natural, drug-free, Hypnobabies birth is slipping out of my fingers.

No comments: